This is meant to be used a guide and refers to a “typical” remodel. Typical KBS remodel refers to new flooring, cabinetry, countertops, backsplash, minimal electrical and minimal plumbing. Performance and timelines are subject to many factors such as permits, inspections, unforeseen jobsite conditions, access to your home, material readiness and scope of project work.
Your designer is always available to help you. However, during the remodeling process you will be communicating with our Project Coordinator and Project Manager more often. All project scheduling goes through our PC and any job-related questions can be directed to your PM. Your sales person will provide you with their contact info.
Work days can be from 7:30am – 5:00pm. Access to your home, basement and utility room is required. We schedule our trades in two time blocks: Morning between 7:30 and 12 and afternoon between 12 and 4. Homeowners must be present for the delivery of cabinetry, template and installation of countertops and final walk through inspection. Homeowners filing for Building Permits should have the permit onsite at least 1 week prior to the KBS start date.
1. Removal and demolition: We always recommend that a dumpster be onsite the same day we start the removal/demolition. A 10-yard dumpster is normally sufficient unless otherwise noted. The dumpster will be onsite from the beginning of the job until substantial completion (i.e. when the appliances are installed and hooked up).
2. Depending on the amount of materials being removed, please anticipate between 1 and 5 days for removal of old materials from your home. Removal of old cabinetry, countertops and backsplash generally takes 1- 2 days. If we are removing flooring, walls and windows, it could take up to 5 days unless otherwise specified. Please remember to leave ALL plastic up to minimize dust from escaping. We do our best to contain the dust but dust will escape, so covering or moving furniture and valuables is strongly recommended.
3. After we have completed the demo and removal of old materials, we start the electrical and plumbing rough-ins. This process can generally take between 1 and 5 days. Homeowners do not need to file for either of these permits. The electrical and plumbing trades file when the rough-in work is complete and coordinate to meet with the town’s inspector. Town inspectors will usually show up within 1-5 business days from date of request. Town inspectors cannot be prescheduled.
4. Once we have prepared the space with the needed infrastructure, we begin closing the room with sheetrock, tape and compound. This process takes a minimum of 3 days and depends on the amount of work being performed. Each coat of compound needs to dry for at least 24 hours before the next coat is applied and sanded. Please leave ALL plastic up during this process. This is the dustiest part of the project so again keep furniture and valuables covered. Unfortunately, dust can be pulled through HVAC and spread throughout the home even with the use of plastic. KBS will not install cabinetry until the compound and sanding process is done. This is to reduce the amount of dust your new cabinetry is exposed to.
5. Customer-supplied materials such as appliances, plumbing fixtures, backsplash tile, grout, decorative hardware and light fixtures should all be onsite at the start of cabinetry installation.
KBS does not calculate or recommend products not sold by KBS. Please refer to local specialists for these purchases. KBS suggests but is not affiliated with the following local businesses:
6. Shortages on tile or incorrect materials supplied by the customer such as plumbing fixtures and lighting that require a return trip by any trade will incur a $450 fee. This is to cover the loss of work and/or return trip so please be sure to have your tile, plumbing and appliance experts check your order for accuracy. Be sure to include enough material for waste when calculating tile, grout or prefabricated wood flooring.
7. Now that the space has been closed from the sheetrock and flooring process, we will begin the installation of the cabinetry. This process can take between 3 and 10 days. KBS installers will follow your signed plans and elevations, and are not permitted to make changes in the field. It is our goal to keep your project on track and moving forward with the agreed upon plans. If a change is requested, please contact your designer so a change order can be issued. All change orders must be settled on the day of issue to avoid project delays.
8. The wait time for your countertop after templating can be up to 14 business days depending on the material selected. This can be a frustrating time because we need the countertop installed prior to installing appliances, hooking up sink and faucet, installing the backsplash and undercabinet lights. However, if you haven’t already started planning where you will be placing all your kitchen items, this is a great time to do so.
9. After your countertop has been installed, we install your appliances and plumbing fixtures, providing you with a functional kitchen that is now considered substantially complete. Remaining items such as backsplash tiles, undercabinet lighting, door and drawer adjustment, toe kick, and base molding are the final items we will be completing. If you purchased our refinishing service that will be last.
10. KBS will broom sweep the areas where major debris was staged, such as dumpster area, garage, deck or porch. Your home will be left neat and orderly, free from large debris. We suggest that you have the space/home cleaned professionally to remove dust, light sawdust and residue that cannot be prevented during a remodeling project.
There is no “standard” or “common” in the remodeling industry. Each home has its own characteristics, strengths and flaws. To generalize the lead time for a typical remodeling project, please expect the process to take approximately 6-10 weeks for substantial completion. Please remember that there will be down time during the remodeling process. Inspections, available delivery time frames, trade scheduling, acclimation times and drying of materials all play a major role in the overall timing of your project. And remember, each project is unique, yours included.
We’ll do our best to try and make the process run as smoothly as possible but please expect to be inconvenienced. We are committed to providing you with the best remodeling skills in our industry: communication, quality products, excellent workmanship and over 45 years of experience. We pride ourselves on these skills, and upon completion we are confident you will be happy with your new kitchen.
Thank you for selecting KBS Kitchens and we look forward to remodeling your home.Review Our FAQs Here
If you have questions about the kitchen or bath design installation process, contact KBS Kitchens. Call (914) 946-8600 to speak with one of our design experts today!Schedule a Design Consultation